Monday, July 17, 2006

Am I alone in...

not knowing anything about the price of yarn?

This is what people in my section of the office are talking about today. I haven't a clue what represents a woolly bargain. Does anyone even use the term yarn these days? It sounds rather old-fashioned to me.

The person who is spearheading this discussion is the same person who asked me a few months ago if I did much crochet. I don't.

Anyone who knows me at all would know that I'm not that sort of girl. Not that there is anything wrong with it - although I did think it was a bit off when she got her handicrafts out at the dinner table at the office party.

4 comments:

northern monkey said...

I hadn't heard the word yarn mentioned since my grandma used to talk about it back in 1979 usually just before she'd knit me some atrocious cardigan for school. Yet this month I've heard it twice - once here and 2 weeks ago when my american work place student asked me where was the best place to buy some in London. I had to get her to repeat it twice as I wasn't sure what she said, and then that she'd directed the question to me...needless to say I know nothing about yarn and am quite upset that I obviously look like someone who does

SandDancer said...

My 'yarn lover' is American too - perhaps its American for wool?

In case anyone asks you again, Liberty has a sale of 'yarn' on now, although as discussed you might not actually want to look as if you know.

Caroline said...

Yarn is the generic term for any strand of fibre that can be knitted or crocheted, i.e. it might look like what most people commonly refer to as a ball of 'wool', but could be made of cotton, cashmere, acrylic, a mix of these fibres, etc, and increasingly acrylic is used, cos it's cheap.

My mom and my grandma still refer to yarn as 'wool', even when it's acrylic. I think it's an English thing, cos traditionally people only bothered knitting with wool, but there are more fibres available now. I think it's the American's who've popularised the more correct usage of 'yarn' over here recently, particularly Debbie Stoller with her influential Stitch And Bitch book.

SandDancer said...

Well, that's us told!