Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I am £30 Man

I remember reading a while ago (probably in the Guardian & probably written by Jacques Perretti) about the modern phenomenon of the thirty pound man, which is the practice of men over 35 of spending c£30 on every trip to HMV on a random selection of CDs. Apparently it is this alone which is keeping traditional record shops going in the download/ipod age.


Well today, I was that man.
I needed to buy some new headphones (one speaker has stopped working on mine & is making an annoying cracking sound) so I popped into HMV at lunchtime and before I knew it I had bought the following:
  • 13th Floor Elevators - The Pyschedelic World of...
  • Big Star - No 1 Record/Radio City
  • The Delays - You See Colours (just so I wasn't only being 60s stuff)
  • New headphones (I almost forgot to buy these)

It was very satisfying to go to the counter with a pile of things. I did still have some money on a giftcard though so it didn't cost me the full amount and they still gave me a £5 off voucher for the next time I spend over £30.

I probably won't buy anything else for the rest of the year now though.



1 comment:

SandDancer said...

I haven't actually been music shopping for ages. My OH buys loads of music & we have similar tastes so since we've been living together I haven't bought much at all. But I have been caught out with the 3 for 2 offers and ended up with some rubbish I don't want just to take advantage of the offer.