Monday, June 12, 2006

First Big Weekend of the Summer

I had a great weekend, although it bore no resemblance to the weekend described in the song with the above title. As well as the glorious sunshine, I enjoyed it because I had plenty of time to myself, which is very rare since I took on the responsibility of the gallery - I had forgotten how much I like wandering around London, going to galleries and parks and not having to rush about.

As well as going swimming twice and doing plenty of walking, I did go to the V&A as I said I would. The Sixties Fashion exhibition was quite good (I loved the paper dresses), but I found the Sixties Graphics much more interesting, especially the stuff about the influence of Aubrey Beardsley. I felt quite pleased with myself that I knew about him already (I did a university course in The Decadents) and it made me feel half way intelligent for once which was much needed after Saturday's lowest common denominator television.

However, I had hoped to be able to buy postcards or prints of some of the things in the graphics exhibition, but they only had two images on postcards in the giftshop and they weren't the better ones. The real things are out of my price range - the poster here costs £650. I could quite happily cover my walls in images by Hapshash and the Coloured Coat and posters for UFO, although it might be a step too far combined with my growing collection of retro style dresses.

No comments: