Saturday, June 10, 2006

If we shadows have offended

Back from the Open Air Theatre. Quite surprised at how much of Midsummer Night's Dream, I remember. We did a production of it at school when I was 15 which was more than half my lifetime ago!!!!! I was also shocked by how good this version was - the man playing Bottom was excellent and really lifted the whole thing. Much better than the last person I saw in the role, admittedly this was a chunky 15 year old with a bad perm called Susie (it was a girls only school).

I enjoyed being outside - it added to the ambience, being quite fitting for this play with its woodland setting, although we were a bit freaked out when a giant black butterly (maybe a moth?) was sat on the shoulder of the man in front of us for about 10 minutes without him knowing.

However, I must admit I didn't find it as rip-roaringly funny as some other people did. It is definitely my favourite Shakespeare Comedy, but still I was just smirking rather than wetting myself in glee. I much prefer the tragedies, especially King Lear were there is hardly anyone left standing at the end.

No comments: