Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Un-Desensitised

Last night's rental from Lovefilm was Shooting Dogs. I've no idea why I rented this. I struggle to remember which films I want see and am always short of inspiration when it comes to topping up my rental list. It was probably suggested to me by the site based on my tendency to rent bleak, serious films, rather than popcorn romcoms.

I wasn't really in the mood for it last night (although when am I in the mood for genocide?) but we decided to watch so we could return it quickly and move on the next one. At first, I thought 'here we go again, western white man goes to Africa and patronises the locals' and the OH and I discussed colonalism and globalisation while the film continued, not really that absorbed by it.

But then, just when I had been thinking how awful it was that we've become so desensitised to such things, there was a scene where a mother and her new born baby were hacked to death by machete. It wasn't exactly shown, so it wasn't gory, but it has to be one of the most horrific things I've ever seen, the thought that someone could do that to another human being. It didn't get any less difficult to watch from there.

So it was harrowing and moving but would I recommend it? It was real life and sometimes that isn't all boy-meets-girl japes.

2 comments:

M said...

This is why I am very selective about the movies I will see. I end up mostly at romcoms or lighter fluff, because I can't handle inhumanity, cruelty or suffering in films. I can't watch anything where people are cruel to each other or to animals. I didn't even see 'Passion of the Christ' because I knew how that went (read the book :) ) It all upsets me too much.

I'm a cinema wimp. :(

SandDancer said...

I think I need an in-between the fluff and the harrowing. Which I think leaves me with dark comedies, but there is only so much quirkiness someone can take.

I've forced the OH to pick our next few films to see if he can manage any better.