Friday, June 29, 2007

The Grand Tour

When I first started working in the West End, I thought I'd spend my lunchtimes in the great galleries - the National Gallery, the National Portrait Gallery and the Photographers' Gallery - which are all pretty much on our doorstep. Whilst I do probably make it into the Photographers Gallery every month or so, I've only been down to the other two a few times in nearly three years. I have the best intentions to be more cultured but I usually get sidetracked by the shops!

But there is now, there is a solution - Grand Tour. The National Gallery has hung masterpieces at various points around Soho, on the outside walls of shops and restaurants. So I can take in a bit of culture whilst I shop!

I was initially a bit confused by this project as the captions claim that they've hung "priceless masterpieces" which made me concerned about how they were surviving in this weather. Was somebody taking them down at the first signs of rain, or holding a brolly over them? Or were they unconcerned with the damage in their quest to bring the art to the people? Actually, none of those - it turns out they are merely copies - the real deals are still safely in the National Gallery, away from the unseasonal weather.




www.flickr.com



4 comments:

Sam said...

I think thats a great idea - perhaps it will encorage more people to go!!

SandDancer said...

I hope so too. Its quite a shock when you walk round a quiet corner and see a huge painting in a grand gilt frame.

thoughts running through my head.... said...

I think its a great idea-I love art and sculpture in unusual places,although I havent been to see any of it shamefully-I'm like you,I used to go and 'view' art and exhibitions all the time but dont seem to anymore!

M said...

Fabulous! I love it!