I’ve been taking the train into work for about a month now. It is very different from my previous journey into work by tube.
- The train arrives a few minutes late most days, especially if I’ve panicked and hurried there
- The train is shorter than the platform but there is no telling where it will stop as it changes daily
- Everyone moves along the platform once the train arrives even if they were already level with a door
- The ‘No Smoking’ rule doesn’t seem to apply on the platform yet it applies on the outdoor tube station platforms, which are essentially the same
- The polyester suit is the outfit of choice on the suburban rail line
- You see the same people every day. Some of the ‘characters’ on my journey include the girl with the severe platinum blonde hair of looking like my ex-best friend, the scruffy man with the greying ponytail, the man in shorts, the art student with her portfolio. I wonder if anyone has noticed me and realised that I’m new?