Saturday, August 05, 2006

Mick Rocks!

I'm at the gallery -its been very quiet, but I have just spent two enjoyable hours 'in the company of' Mick Rock, the rock photographer, who now has a show on XFM. It is the second time I've heard his show and it is much better than the usual 'same shit, different hour' on the station.

Over the course of two hours, he played these records that I loved:

Primal Scream – Dolls
Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Gold Lion
David Bowie – Jean Genie
Bob Dylan – Can you please crawl out your window
Roxy Music- Love is the Drug
Television – The Blank Generation
Flaming Lips – Do You Realise
T-Rex –Telegram Sam
Nirvana – The Man Who Sold the World
Buddy Holly – Peggy Sue
The View – Wasted Little DJs

He also played some Scissor Sisters, Muse and Snow Patrol, but I won't hold that against him. He mentioned Snow Patrol being a great laugh again this week - I'm still not convinced by this and think he doth protest too much.

In between records, he tells anecdotes about bands he's worked with - its all very interesting and doesn't come across as just name-dropping (as it would if anyone else did it). He also used the word groovy and he still sounded cool.

Unlike when my OH described himself as 'hip' recently!

No comments: