Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cover Versions

Having mentioned below the cover of a Smiths song, I thought I would list my favourite cover versions.

The Man Who Sold the Earth - Nirvana
Lost in Music - The Fall
Come Together - Ike & Tina Turner
Winterlong - The Pixies
Brass in Pocket - Suede
Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
Jump into the Fire - LCD Soundsystem
Sympathy - Janes Addiction
Hounds of Love - The Futureheads
Ms Jackson - The Vines
All Along the Watch Tower - Jimi Hendrix
Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon - Urge Overkill
Dolphins - Beth Orton and Terry Callier

and then the multiple entries from Johnny Cash (the king of cover versions):

Personal Jesus
One
Solitary Man
Hurt

and our course, Primal Scream's covers of Kick Out the Jams, Born to Lose and Slip Inside This House.

I would also probably also add Candy Flip's version of Strawberry Fields Forever, which I realise is pretty dreadful but it reminds me of my formative years...

4 comments:

Miss Forthright said...

Magnet's version of Dylan's Lay Lady Lay is my favourite cover version ever. The Breeders did a version of Happiness Is A Warm Gun which was cool, but I haven't heard the Pixies one. I second you on Hendrix, much better than the original.

SandDancer said...

I love that Magnet song too and bought their album because of that.

I haven't heard the Breeders song - I may have to investigate that.

Anonymous said...

Lost in music by The fall is fantastic, Camera Obscura's version of Sheena easton's 'Modern Girl' is also brilliant.

SandDancer said...

I think I know that song at all. Another one to look up.