Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Like the Poddington Peas on Acid

This was how the OH described the start of the Flaming Lips gig last night, when a hundred green balloons floated around the auditorium. I'm sure how much experience he has actually had of the Poddington Peas on acid, but anyway...


So the gig started well enough, but then I was disappointed. The new songs aren't really that good and there was far too much talking between them. At first, the anti-Bush and 'I love you guys' comments were endearing, but he did it too much and over-explained some songs that really need no explanation at all.

Some of the crowd annoyed me too - the bloke in front who was doing interpretive dancing , raising his fists in the air and really feeling each song and then him & his mate competing to see how could be the most over-the-top, to prove they liked the band most. Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots is a great song, but really I find it hard to believe that was saying that much to him about his life.

And the obligatory cover version - bloody Queen, sodding Bohemian Rhapsody. Of all the things, I may have claimed to hate on here, Queen is my absolute biggest hate. I can't stand them and just don't understand why so many people love them.

So in the end, I left feeling disappointed and with the distinct impression that the glitter, balloons and Santas were all just a giant smoke screen to distract the audience from the fact that the band aren't that good anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate Queen too, I always feel like I'm being blasphemous by saying it though.

K