Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer in the City

I love London in the sunshine and each year I fall a little bit more in love with the city in the summer.

Although I've been here nearly 12 years now, when the sun is shining, I feel like I'm on holiday as it is so different from what passes for summer where I'm from. Even walking down the road near where I live feels like being somewhere exotic when the sun is out.

Lots of people moan about the tube being unbearable in the heat, but really there is so many great things about London in the summer that more than compensate for this discomfort. In the past couple of weeks, I've drank sangria in a park listening to dance music from around the world, I've picnicked at a Jazz Festival, swam outdoors, and wondered around like a tourist with my camera.


This week, I've been enjoying free lunchtime concerts in Victoria Embankment Gardens. The easy-going sounds of Gershwin played by a happy quartet. An old man dances along. Japanese tourists rest for a while to take in the music. Workers eat their lunch and chat to colleagues. I lounge in a deckchair, with my book.

This is what contentment is.

3 comments:

Mellifluous Dark said...

Aaaaaaaah, you know how much I love London and have to agree with all your sentiments.

The concerts sound wonderful. What a lovely way to pass your lunchtime.

Roses said...

Sounds great, wish I could share the deck chairs and a curly sarnie with you there.

Anonymous said...

Hey,
just sumbled over your blog - and your summer in London sounds great. Already have been to London in plain sun and the parks where amazing!!