Thursday, November 22, 2007

Par for the Course

I’m pretty busy at the moment with various things, one of which is my photography course.

The class started off as eight of us, but last week we were down to five. It may have been the torrential rain but at least one person hasn’t been since the first week, so I suspect our numbers are dwindling, which is always the way with these courses.

The other stereotype that the class is conforming to as that there is one person who talks too much. Every course I’ve ever done has had one of these, someone who talks lots, but says little of substance. The current culprit is a retired doctor, who is writing a book on medical history and is mainly interested in photographing slides. He is obsessed with the word ‘cataloguing’ and at least once per session will say it loudly.

I am enjoying the course but strangely I’ve been struck by an inability to taking photographs since it started. I am learning how my camera works properly and am aiming to move off using the automatic setting. At the moment I’m still getting to grips with the controls so it takes time to fiddle about with it to set it up. The other problem is that it gets dark so early so I’m reliant on practising at lunchtime. The difficulty with this is that I’m in central London which may have a wealth of interesting things to photograph but I can’t see them for the swarms of people and its hard to find a quiet space to get my settings right. Yesterday I was experimenting with various shots when I was spotted by some tourists who asked me to take pictures of them with their cameras. I was happy to help out but it seems to be an occupational hazard if you stand still for too long.

So tonight I’m hoping to do some still life photographs in the house and some night time shots in the garden to practice, so hopefully I’ll get a better understanding of the camera and be more confident in my lunchtime session tomorrow.

4 comments:

cogidubnus said...

Getting to grips with the camera, learning what settings to use as a "failsafe" in given conditions, and adjusting these almost instinctively so you don't miss the shot...

Valuable lessons...and at times, they do seem boring and do take time but you better believe it pays off later...Once you've mastered the camera, it's really all down to understanding light...

Wish in many ways I'd stayed with it, but at least now I can follow my former hobby vicariously through my youngest daughters interest.

Good luck with it...but most important, no matter what anyone else thinks of your work, enjoy it!

SandDancer said...

That is my plan - I'm taking lots of pictures of the same thing but with different settings and then looking at the results to see what works best. Hopefully in time it will become instinctive. As much as I love proper photographs, the good thing with digital cameras is that it is cheaper to make mistakes!

cogidubnus said...

Two (connected) phrases:-

"Black and White" - because (a) it concentrates you on LIGHT... and (b) you can learn to develop and print them yourself quite cheaply...

"Develop and print it yourself" quite cheaply, and develop your learning of how to manipulate the process, (eg - holding back areas...or the difference a particular paper makes)

You're clearly enjoying it...which as I said before was the whole point!

M said...

I took photography many, many years ago, and my favorite part was experimenting in the dark room. Lots of creativity in there.