Monday, June 17, 2013

Other cities

I spent the weekend in Glasgow. Which in retrospect was rather a long way to go for such a short amount of time and I wish I could have stayed longer.

The purpose of the trip was to see The Stone Roses play. It was a great gig, despite the British summer hailstones.

We made a similar trip to Manchester last year. Besides seeing the same band, what both trips had in common is that I would love to live in those cities.

London has some great things going for it and I do find it annoying when people dismiss it entirely, but having done my time living there, I'm rather over it now. But I'm still a city girl at heart and I'd love to live in one of our country's other cities.

Manchester is probably my first choice. Generally I'd take the post-industrial over the quaintly pretty - so Glasgow trumps Edinburgh and Sheffield would be preferable to York.  Breaking with that rule though, I still have a soft spot for Norwich and have only ever had a horrible time in Leeds.

But here I am in my fake-rural, no-longer-really-a-village village, which I do love, but sometimes I miss city life.

No comments: