I lurked in the leisure centre hallway for a few minutes, hoping it might stop, but then I was worried that the nearby canal might break its banks so thought I'd better move on before it flooded and I was stranded.
As I drudged along in the rain, the song ‘The Rain’ by Missy Elliot came on my ipod (I’m not usually a fan of her but I think this must be on some compilation). On hearing this, I wished that I’d had the forethought to compile a rain-related playlist for such an occasion.
So I’m putting one together now and when I get my new ipod which will have plenty of space for such frivolity I will put it together for future use:
- Rain – The Beatles
- Dry the Rain – The Beta Band
- Wash in the Rain – The Bees
- Happy When It Rains – Jesus and Mary Chain
- Purple Rain – Stina Nordenstam’s version of the Prince song
- Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 – Bob Dylan (even though it doesn’t mention rain in the lyrics)
- Raintown – Deacon Blue (credibility thrown out of the window now!)
- Sunshine on a Rainy Day – Zoe (I don’t own this but it reminds me of being 15)
- Rain or Shine – Five Star (ok, I don’t own this but it fits the theme and Five Star were our band of choice for making up dance routines when I was 10)
It will not feature Travis “Why Does It Always Rain on Me” (too wet even for a rain compilation) or any version of “Its Raining Men” (its not a hen night compilation). Any other suggestions?
By the time I'd trudged home, my trousers were so heavy, that I'm convinced that gave me a better workout than the pool had.