Friday, May 10, 2013

Since I mentioned it in my previous post...

I struggle with the issue of gay marriage. Or specifically, I struggle with why this is even an issue for much of the population.

There only seems to me to be two logical default positions on this:
  • For it - because you are gay, someone you love is gay, you believe in equality or you just really like weddings
  • Not bothered
I don't understand why people are against it. I mean I've heard the arguments, I know what they are, but they don't make sense to me.

If you aren't gay yourself, why do you care so much what other people are doing, if it doesn't affect you. I have heard some vague nonsense about how it will demean 'traditional' marriage. If your marriage feels less important because of something complete strangers are doing, then the problem in in your home.

Then there is the religion argument.  Apparently, god won't like it. Again, if it isn't you doing it, why should that worry you so much? Or is your god the type to smote everyone in his anger? In which case, I'd be questioning whether that is the kind of god I want to hang out with, rather than worrying about what Adam and Steve (or Adele and Eve) are doing.


1 comment:

cogidubnus said...

What's to be against? Ultimately marriage is exactly what you choose to make of it, gay or straight...the only thing I'd be against is a lessening of the commitment you make to each other on marrying...If you want less than full commitmeny just live together!