Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Time Capsule

Inspired by the forthcoming display of one of Andy Warhol's Time Capsules at the Hayward Gallery, Bryan Appleyard wrote a piece in the Sunday Times this week about what would go in a time capsule to represent 2008.


I'm fascinated by time capsules, perhaps because I contributed to one myself when I was about 10. It was our school's centenary and it was decided that a time capsule would be created, to be opened in another 100 years. I was chosen to do the contribution from my class. For reasons I can't remember I wrote about fashion. This was the Eighties. The piece was accompanied by photographs of me to illustrate the piece. So somewhere there is a time capsule that includes photographs of me in leggings, bat-wing sleeved jumpers, ski-pants and a peach coloured sweatshirt. Not exactly how I'd choose to be remembered.

I discussed the time capsule article with the OH, explaining what was going in their 2008 capsule.

“I love time capsules. We should do one” he said.
“What would you put in it” I asked
“A tin of won ton soup” he replied

A little while ago, he decided to try tinned won ton soup, over enthusiastically ordered multiple cans only to find that he didn’t really like it. He is working his way through it on evenings when we aren’t inclined to cook or there isn’t much else in the cupboard, but still a few cans remain.

He couldn’t think of anything else he’d like to add and for the moment nor can I. So I don’t think we’ll be doing our own time capsule at the moment.

7 comments:

Mellifluous Dark said...

I recall Blue Peter making time capsules. I wonder what happened to them?

How many tins of the soup did your OH buy? :)

Anonymous said...

Hi SandDancer,

Is there a way to send you a private message?

SandDancer said...

sanddancer1@hotmail.co.uk

I'm slightly worried as to why anyone wants to send a private message.

Katy Swift said...

I had a chuckle at the 80's fashion - it brought back a few memories. *shudder*

What else would you put in a time capsule? It's an interesting thought apart from a copy of the day's newspaper, what else would you include?

SandDancer said...

Hottie - most of those 80s fashions are now available again without irony.

I thought the article picked most of the big things for 2008 as a whole but I liked the idea of doing a personal selection which I believe the Warhol boxes are. This month all I've really done is go to weddings, so I didn't have much inspiration, but perhaps things like tickets for cinema/trains etc.

SandDancer said...

Hottie - most of those 80s fashions are now available again without irony.

I thought the article picked most of the big things for 2008 as a whole but I liked the idea of doing a personal selection which I believe the Warhol boxes are. This month all I've really done is go to weddings, so I didn't have much inspiration, but perhaps things like tickets for cinema/trains etc.

Katy Swift said...

I know what you mean about the 80's fashion revival. On a recent works outing, a colleague who's in her very early 20's (if that) was wearing a pair of Pixie boots. My friend (who's in her late 30s) and I just looked and smiled at each other. I guess it's like Vietnam (and indeeed most other things) you only understand the true horror of it if you've been through it.