Thursday, April 23, 2009

BT&T

Once more I am attempting to broaden my exercise regime. Once more I'm remembering why I usually just swim.


Yesterday was the turn of "Bums, Tums & Thighs". I expected the class to be full of ladies with huge behinds, beer bellies and thunderous thighs, but it wasn’t. The rest of the class were all of dancer-like build, probably having glided over from the Royal Opera House. But I suppose that shows that regular attendance might produce results.

The class was a harsh reminder of how inflexible and uncoordinated I am. At no point was it fun.

I began to take personally the teacher’s comments about keeping a distance between our chins and chests (I am paranoid about my weak chin). Uncharitable thoughts about “proper academic subjects” crossed my mind when she mentioned her university for physical education.

When the time was nearly up and she asked the class if we wanted to do the relaxation stretches or one more exercise, the rest of the class responded that they wanted to do TWO more exercises. If I hadn’t been about to collapse with exhaustion at this point, I might have fainted in surprise.

Today I ache everywhere, but particularly in those three mentioned areas.

3 comments:

Roses said...

See...that's why I do exercise dvds. I hate the skinny, fit bints with their big smiles and incredibly expensive workout gear. If I'm going to die, let it please be in the privacy of my own home, in front of no-one but the Cat (who thinks I'm mad anyway).

M said...

20+ years ago, I started attending aerobics classes religiously. The instructor was always 21, cute and perfect. Now....I am 20 years older, but somehow the instructor is still 21, cute and perfect. How does that happen? :)

SandDancer said...

Roses - I've never managed to keep up exercising at home. I tried most recently with yoga, which I may return to do at home. Swimming does give relative privacy in that the hard work is going on in the water so people can't really see much.

M - I don't mind the instructor being like that, my problem is when the rest of the class is too.

Two days later, I still ache...